Preparing for the transition from one year to next allows for each of us to set our intention for what we want. If you don’t know what your target is it can be hard to know where to aim! Clarity is key to this. Here are questions you can use to check in with yourself to assure a fast start (or restart) and great momentum in 2023.
- What advice would you give your last-year self? Be gracious with yourself. Perhaps you started the year with expectations that shifted and caught you unprepared. Or you had great assumptions, and you need to just keep up the good work. What would you say to yourself in the 2022 mirror?
- What is your intention for next year? The more specificity you can use as you consider this answer the more likely you’ll see what you are working towards.
- What worked in 2022 that you want to continue? Starting a new year doesn’t mean throwing out all the good things that are working. Perhaps you are having success with block calendaring – plan to continue it.
- What do you want to change completely? I have friends who want to dramatically improve their health. If you want to make dramatic changes, what are you willing to commit to doing differently? (We know that changing habits takes time and commitment – what are the details of what you will do?)
- We get different when we transition or expand to be different. How do you intend to be different at the end of next year? Who do you want to become?
- What career opportunities do you want to create for yourself? If you are employed, you spend more time at work each year than with your family and friends. How can you make your career allow you to be, do and have that feeling of expansion and growth?
- What’s your big accomplishment for next year? Make this enough of a stretch goal that you know by the end of the year you’ll know you’ve grown and allowed an expanded result. How will you know you’ve accomplished your goal? (Answer: you’ll chunk it down into more manageable benchmarks and check in with yourself along the way – tweaking as needed.)
And bonus question?
8. How will you help others or be in service to something outside of yourself? If you crave deepening meaning and connection your answer here will make all the difference.
Once you’ve invested the time to be thoughtful with these questions and your answers, don’t put them away. Make notecards to review your intentions daily. Tag your calendar for weekly reflection about how you are doing. Quarterly check in with yourself and assure you are on track or determine what you need to adjust to get to your refined objective.
Wishing you success in 2023!
Get clear, gain confidence, make it happen – get hired sooner. Stay courageous.
As always, I wish you health and a clear path to offer your professional creativity within a job that’s truly right for you.
Success – at work, at play, every day!